Sunday 1 November 2020

DUNE: UK First Edition HC Recreation

DUNE: Gollancz UK First Edition HC Recreation
Related to the Dune Saga posts on The 7th and Last.

I love books, but I don't collect or attribute any special value to signed or First Editions. For me, the true value of a book is its content. If the content is good, then the book is good, regardless of its edition. But if I can get it in HC with art that I personally like, then I'm extra happy.

Frank Herbert's first DUNE novel is one of my favourite science-fiction books and I enjoy seeing how artists interpret the themes and settings of the story - so much so that the first post I ever made on The 7th Side was a collection of cover art for it. I wanted to include the Victor Gollancz First Edition, UK (1966) because I like the simplicity of it, but I was unable to find a good enough image. I later figured that the best way to get it featured was to respectfully recreate it, so I did. Sadly, I don't know the original artist's name(s) to credit him/her/them.


For anyone interested, the original image I had to work from is pictured LEFT (on a PC, I don't know where it'll show up on a phone or tablet browser). I re-did the DUNE text from scratch, with simple uniform straight lines and Bézier curves. The author name would've been too time consuming to do the same way, so I found a font that was as close to the original as I could, which was Franklin Gothic Medium.

It's not a perfect recreation, I know, but the graphics tablet I once relied upon for this kind of thing doesn't have a driver for Windows 10, so I'd to use a keyboard and mouse... a wireless one.

No comments:

Post a Comment