Big Comic Fortnightly (1988-94)
Published by Fleetway | 167 issues?
A fortnightly UK omnibus packed with content at a bargain price. It had a number of well-known strips, such as Frankie Stein, Sweeny Toddler, and The Bumpkin Billionaires, all of which had been in IPC's Shiver and Shake (1973-74) previously, but I don't know if what's in Big Comic Fortnightly is reprint or new content with the same characters. I suspect it's reprint, given the price. It's entirely possible that everything in Big Comic Fortnightly is reprint. I don't know.
The earliest issue I own is Issue 12, dated 12th - 25th November, 1988. (Pictured below alongside the highest numbered issue I own, Issue 57, dated 04th - 17th August, 1990.)
- Issue 12 has an interesting cover. Note the British Policeman calling for someone to wallop a schoolgirl. Simple comicbook shenanigans or a satirical snapshot of the country at the time? -
Strips in Issue 12:
Chalky; X-Ray Specs; Claws; Lazy Bones; Skateboard Squad; Penny Dreadful; Calculator Kid; The World's Worst...; Master Mind!; Book Worm; Sammy Shrink; Mum's the Word; The Incredible Sulk; Horace and Doris; Gremlins; Smiler; Lolly Pop; Joker; Gums; Elephant on the Run; Sweeny Toddler; The Bumpkin Billionaires; Team Mates; Quick Strips; Scooper; Ossie; Kid Comic; Ivor Lott and Tony Broke; Odd Ball; Sid's Snake; Sweet Tooth; Oh, Brother!; Shiner; Fun Fear; Toy Boy; Frankie Stein; Full O' Beans; Scarfed-Stiff Sam; Mustapha Mi££ion; Cry Baby.
Strips in issue 57:
Animalad; Creepy Comix; S.O.S. Squad; Shrimp; The Incredible Sulk; Milly O'Naire and Penny Less; Calculator Kid; Why, Dad, Why?; Sweet Tooth; The Champ; Boy Boss; Wonder Wellies; Store Wars; Snap Happy; Will Power; Shipwreck School; Gran's Gang; Buster's Diary; Sporty; Full O' Beans; Family Trees; Money Talks; X-Ray Specs; Snack-Man; Brainy and his Monster Maker; Sammy Shrink; The Bumpkin Billionaires; Super Dad; Hover Boots; Big Game Hunter; Mike's Bike; Super Steve; Lolly Pop; The Krazy Gang; Sweeny Toddler; Happy Families; Tub; Chalky; Jack Pott; Joker.
I'd love to scan all the logos for posterity, because some of them are great, but I did it with It's Wicked and it was a pain in the ass - my scanner is in an awkward to access location.
As far as I know, the comic lasted 167 issues. (Issue 167 is dated 4th November, 1994). There was at least one Holiday Special in that time, too. I have only one of those, from 1989.
Issue 32 back cover. Another on-point commentary of British society.




No comments:
Post a Comment